The new season of Lucas Oil Offroad Racing is here, kicking off in beautiful Southern California at Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park. While the new season brings forward new dreams and aspirations for the drivers, let’s recap 2014.
The Rookie of the Year award went to #55 of Gavin Herlien who finished 7th in points! He’s already got a list of sponsors, some of whom are: A3 Energy Bars, Go Pro Cameras, Mickey Thompson Performance Tire and Wheels, FOX Racing Shox, Smith Optics, and more! Not bad for the “New Kid on the Block”. Don’t look past him to be winning races frequently.
The Top 5 in standings from 2014, include someone who is a family friend and past Rookie of the Year himself! He came 3rd in points behind the famous Brian Deegan. Your top 5 coming into 2015 is:
1. Sheldon Creed #74, This 17 year old is creating waves with “planning ahead” for how he wants to race his kids, and what direction he wants to take his racing. Look for him in NASCAR in the next few years ;). He is sponsored by Traxxas, BF Goodrich, and Eibach (plus many more!)
2. Brian Deegan #38, a regular household name for anyone interested in extreme sports for more than 5 years. Some of his sponsors include: Rockstar Racing, Ford Racing, and Gibson Exhaust (much like our show host Chappy!).
3. RJ Anderson #37, this kid is a 20 year old legend in the making! I’m glad to be able to say his dad is a family friend as well as he is. He was able to race for Walker Evans Racing during his rookie season, and is now the driver and Operations Manager of his Stronghold Racing team! Some of his sponsors include: LoanMart, Walker Evans Racing, and South Pointe Hotel and Casino.
4. Casey Currie #2 came in 4th during the 2014 season just 13 points behind RJ. I don’t believe we’ve seen/heard the last of him! As a driver sponsored by some of my childhood favorite offroad stores and products, I think he will average top 5 finishes!! His sponsors include: Bilstein Shocks, MotiveGear, and Oakley (who seems to sponsor a lot of the drivers but nonetheless is impressive).
5. Ryan Beat #51, finished comfortably in 5th place. This is a driver I’ve been looking into the last few days. He is very elusive and hopefully I will interview him at Lake Elsinore in March! He has some big name sponsors as well including: Black Rhino, RacerX Motorsports, and Method Race Wheels!
Your top 3 from the last round of 2014 were:
1. Jerrett Brooks #77 Maxima Racing
2. Brian Deegan #38 Rockstar Racing
3. RJ Anderson #37 Walker Evans Racing
If you happen to spot me in the crowd, feel free to stop me and say “What’s Up?!”. I would love to meet some of you Remember to follow me on twitter @LanniGoesVroom for race updates every Saturday night! As always, to quote my favorite cause, Keep Racing Off Public Streets (unless they turn them into a track for you to drift 😉
March 20 & 21, 2015 the gates open to the public at 4pm at Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park. Tickets are $25 per day for anyone over the age of 12, kids under 12 are free. Enterprise Rent-a-Car has opted to partner with Lucas Oil for your car rental needs. The track is located at 20700 Cereal St.
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530.